Since we’ve all been spending more time at home, it’s a great opportunity to implement the right cleaning regimen for your unique flooring. At Floor Coverings International Triad, we’re here to help you figure out the best practices for cleaning carpet, hardwood and tile floors.
- Put doormats at all entryways to help reduce the amount of dirt that gets into your home.
- Incorporate a shoe rack or mudroom where guests can remove their shoes.
- Vacuum regularly. Once a week should be enough but if you’re living with pets, we recommend vacuuming more often.
- Clean any spills with the right carpet cleaner and try to avoid using brushes when cleaning to avoid damaging the fibers.
- Routinely sweep. We recommend sweeping daily if you can. Always use a hard floor setting if you vacuum to ensure your floors do not become scratched or damaged. If you are sweeping, a dust mop can remove more dirt and dust than a broom, and is safer for your floors.
- Use a damp mop. Your hardwood floors may need to be mopped every few days or couple of weeks, depending on the amount of foot traffic in your home. When you go to mop your floors, keep in mind that excessive water and moisture can be damaging. We recommend using a damp mop, rather than a soaking wet mop.
- Choose the right soap. Always look for a pH neutral soap that is safe for urethane-finished hardwood floors. Avoid using abrasive or acidic cleaners, such as bleach and vinegar.
- Place floor mats in areas with high levels of foot traffic (i.e. entryways) to cut down on dirt and grime.
- Sweep or vacuum your tile floors regularly to remove dirt and grit from your tile floors before it damages them. We also recommend mopping your floors every week. When you’re done mopping, be sure to dry your tile. This is essential because damp floors collect more dirt and dust.
- Quickly clean up spills. The acid in various foods, such as soda or raw meat, can permanently stain tile flooring.
Think About Upgrading
Despite regular cleaning, all flooring succumbs to wear and tear eventually. If it’s been a few years, consider revamping your flooring. Our professional staff are experts in flooring installation and are happy to help you select your next choice.
Contact our experts at Floor Coverings International Triad today to find out how we can best be of service to you. We’re offering FREE phone consultations, and are proudly serving Winston-Salem, Greensboro, High Point.
You May Also Enjoy:
- 7 Tips for a Cleaner Carpet in Winston-Salem
- Caring for Wooden Floors in Your Greensboro Home
- Cleaning Hardwood Floors