There are many reasons to love carpet! It’s soft, cozy, and can bring a casual element to any room. However, there’s no ignoring that carpet can be tricky to keep clean. Those comfy fibers have a tendency to retain stains which is why it’s so important to be prepared for anything. Floor Coverings International Triad compiled these pro tips for Kernersville homeowners to keep their carpets looking as beautiful as the day they were installed.
- BLOT! It might seem counter-intuitive, but rubbing a stain can actually make it worse. Blotting is a better method that allows you to soak up the stain and draw it straight out of the carpet, versus smearing it around.
- Make sure your vacuum is set at the right height. If it’s too low, you could actually be damaging the vacuum. If it’s too high, it won’t be able to pick up all the dirt– which defeats the purpose of vacuuming to begin with! Take some time to find that happy medium and your carpets will thank you.
- You also want to make sure you’re vacuuming slowly. It can seem tedious, but vacuuming too fast is another common way to miss dirt.
- Try vacuuming in a criss-cross pattern in areas with heavy foot-traffic, or where people sit. These tend to be the areas that collect the most dirt and oils. It’s worth the extra attention!
- It’s a good idea to deep clean your carpets every six months. Whether this means hiring professionals or doing it yourself, deep cleaning is the best way to keep your carpets looking good as new!
- Try water first! Most stains can be removed with tap water so try absorbing as much of the stain as possible with a dry cloth, then take a wet cloth and blot the leftover stain until it’s all gone.
- For more intense stains, try a half water/half vinegar solution (or club soda). No need to whip out the heavy cleaners!
If you have questions about carpet or are looking to install new floors in your home, reach out to our design team. At Floor Coverings International Triad, we are dedicated to finding the perfect flooring solution for each of our customers. Give us a call today to book a free in-home consultation with our mobile showroom where we bring flooring samples to you!
You might also be interested in:
- The Best Carpets for Pet Owners
- 3 Comfy Carpets for Your Winston-Salem Home
- Infographic: Area Rug 101
Photo © Syda Productions